Sunday, May 27, 2012

Resolution

Thirty-three years ago, in 1979, six-year-old Etan Patz disappeared. He was on his way to catch the school bus, and somewhere during that two block walk he was taken.

I cannot imagine the pain and heartbreak his family went through. Not only then but now. I cannot imagine living every day wondering what happened to my child. Looking at the face of every child, then teenager, then adult, wondering, hoping, praying.

Etan was the first face on a milk carton. The agony behind the first real focus on missing and abducted children and young adults. The pain that launched awareness of a changing world where your child could be gone in an instant.

In March of 1982 Karen Wilson, a student at the University at Albany, vanished without a trace after leaving Colonie Center mall, a place that my family and friends frequented then and now. Karen disappeared near where I grew up. We helped search for her through woods near our home. Because of her I developed a fascination with missing people, and I have never forgotten her name.

In March of 1998 Suzanne Lyall, also a student at the University at Albany, vanished without a trace between her job at Crossgates Mall and the University. A little over two miles apart, maybe six minutes by car. One stretch of road, well-traveled. Crossgates Mall is another family favorite, and I myself attended the University.

These things happen even in familiar places. Safe places. Comfortable places. In the blink of an eye. In a split second of time when every possible witness has been distracted by their phone, their child, their car keys.

There have been others in our area, and I can only hope that some day their families will get closure. As for Etan, here seems to be resolution at last for Etan's family. A man confessed and was arrested

I hope Etan's family has found some measure of peace at last.  


No comments:

Post a Comment