Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Angel of the Coins

Another interesting grave in Dellwood Cemetery sits on the side of a gently sloping hill. The inscription is too faded to read. (On another visit, when it's not so cold, I will try to figure it out.) The monument, a short pillar made of some kind of stone, is protected by an elegant angel with one small foot resting on a pillow. 

Her gentle face looks down into her cupped hands.


I saw a glint of something shiny reflected from between her hands, and to my surprise when I took a closer look, I saw coins.


I went back to my car and took some coins from the console, walked back to the angel and added them to her stash. Some day I hope to learn the story behind the angel and her coins.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jayne! Love your posts! I am a cemetery lover, too. My family visits the Angel in Dellwood every time we visit. We go at night to see her reflection from the moonlight. It's awe inspiring. Have you seen it at night? I didn't know about the poor Titanic grave. Very sad. I did take pictures of the inscription of the Angel, but can't find it. Do you know the name of the man it's for? I read he killed himself after the stock market crash of '29, and the monument was erected by his wife. Thanks for your wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete